The new Honda Civic Type R will cost about $12,000 more than its predecessor when it launches next year – but it will be more powerful, with more technology.
- 2023 Honda Civic Type R pricing and specifications
- More powerful 235kW/420Nm turbo engine
- Orders open December 1, deliveries start February
- Priced from $72,600 drive-away
The new 2023 Honda Civic Type R will cost $72,600 drive-away when it arrives in Australian showrooms in February next year.
The new Civic Type R’s starting price – fixed across the country, and non-negotiable – makes it about $12,000 more expensive than the car it replaces, which cost $54,990 plus on-road costs at the end of its life, or about $60,000 drive-away.
While the price makes it the most expensive five-door Honda hatchback ever sold in Australia – and dearer than the ultra-limited, previous-generation $70,000 drive-away Civic Type R Limited Edition – the new model is more powerful and technologically advanced.
Order books are slated to open on December 1, when customers can “formally process a booking” by selecting their chosen paint colour, “completing a contract of sale and paying a deposit,” ahead of first customer deliveries due in February.
Honda Australia says it has attracted more than 4000 “pre-registrations” for the Type R since it was revealed in July. The company has not indicated how many cars will be available in the first batch, or if it will be limited.
As reported, power in the new car comes from an evolution of its predecessor’s 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder ‘K20C1’ engine, developing 235kW and 420Nm – 7kW/20Nm more than the old model, but still 8kW down on models sold in Japan, due to our fuel quality.
Drive continues to be sent to the front wheels through a six-speed manual transmission. No acceleration or top speed figures have been quoted.
Performance highlights of the new car include a mechanical limited-slip front differential, 19-inch alloy wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres (measuring 265/30 at the front, up from 245/30), active sports exhaust, electronic rev-matching, and functional aerodynamics.
The new Civic Type R is larger than its predecessor, with a longer body and wheelbase, Brembo brakes, and broader track widths.
Engine cooling is said to have improved compared to the previous model – with a larger grille opening and bigger radiator – while the engine has gained a revised turbocharger and increased intake flow rate, and the gearbox a lighter flywheel.
There are four drive modes: Comfort, Sport and +R, carried over from the outgoing car, plus an Individual mode.
Inside, drivers score red suede-trimmed sports seats with Type R embroidery, red carpets and trim, a new aluminium shift knob, Type R build plate on the dashboard, and Honda’s LogR track data recorder function.
The new Civic Type R will be a four-seat vehicle, like its predecessor. Other cars in the hot hatch class offer five seats.
Other standard features include a 10.2-inch widescreen instrument cluster (not available on the petrol Civic VTi LX), 9.0-inch touchscreen, wireless smartphone charging, LED headlights, autonomous emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and blind-spot monitoring.
Four colours are available: Championship White, Rally Red, Sonic Grey and Crystal Black. The Boost Blue colour available overseas will not be offered in Australia.
The 2023 Honda Civic Type R is due in Australian showrooms in February.
- Civic VTi LX – $47,200
- Civic e:HEV LX hybrid – $TBC (upcoming)
- Civic Type R – $72,600 (new)
Note: All prices above are drive-away.
2023 Honda Civic Type R standard features:
- 2.0-litre turbo engine with six-speed manual transmission
- Four drive modes (Comfort, Sport, +R and Individual)
- Active exhaust valve
- Adaptive suspension
- Helical limited-slip front differential
- 19-inch wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres
- 9.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with wireless Apple CarPlay, wired Android Auto and in-built satellite navigation
- Honda LogR race track data logger
- 10.2-inch widescreen digital instrument cluster
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Dual-zone climate control
- Eight-speaker sound system
- Ambient interior lighting
- LED headlights and tail-lights
- Red suede-look front sports seats with manual adjustment
- Black suede-look rear seat upholstery
- Alloy sports pedals and gear shifter
- Red seatbelts
- Autonomous emergency braking
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane-keep assist
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Traffic sign recognition
- Driver attention monitor
- Power-folding side mirrors
Available colours include
- Championship White
- Rally Red
- Crystal Black
- Sonic Grey